Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Review of Just Like the Other Girls by Claire Douglas

 This book was a random pick up when I was at Walmart with my husband. I don't do that very often because I honestly use my Kindle more than I read physical books. This however was a great impulse purchase. 

An electrifying tale of psychological suspense in which an unsuspecting young woman finds herself trapped in an increasingly sinister web of mystery and lies.

CARER/COMPANION WANTED FOR ELDERLY LADY

YOUNG FEMALE PREFERRED

COMPETITIVE SALARY

ROOM AND BOARD INCLUDED

She thought she was safe. So did the others . . .

At loose ends after the devastating death of her mother, Una Richardson responds to an advertisement for a ladies' companion, a position that leads her into the wealthy, secluded world of Mrs. Elspeth McKenzie.


But Elspeth's home isn't the comforting haven it seems.

Kathryn, her cold and bitter daughter, resents Una's presence. More disturbing is evidence suggesting two girls lived here before her.

What happened to the young women?

Why won't the McKenzies talk about them?

What are they hiding?

As the walls begin to close in around her, Una fears she'll end up just like the other girls . . .

My Review:

5 Stars 

I really enjoy books that I get every guess I make wrong. It means I haven't been able to figure out everything about half way though and just continue on to see if I am correct or not. Usually my guessing is pretty solid, but I couldn't have been more off in this book. 

Elspeth is one cold and calculating lady. Honestly she reminds me of my mother in the way that she interacts with her daughter. Kathryn wants nothing more than just a show of love from her mother. She's endured so much at the hands of Elspeth and just wants what she feels she is due. 

The only problem are the companions that her mother insists on employing. The most recent one not being like the others. Not only does Una seem to be bonding well with Elspeth, but she's also starting to ask a lot of questions. Questions that someone doesn't want her to find the answers to. 

A twisting and turning story that had me on the edge of my seat. I was very surprised at the ending and how everything became unraveled and revealed. The author did a fantastic job. 

PS: My little girl Ms. Betty also enjoyed this book 


No comments:

Post a Comment