Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2022

Review of I Let Him In by Jill Childs

 I received a copy of this title via NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own. 

Last night I dreamt about the past for the first time in years. I thought I was over it. I thought I’d finally learned to block it out. But I’m right back there, all over again, inside the house, and I’m afraid...

When Louise Taylor is hit by a car as she cycles home in the rain following a fight with her boyfriend, she’s left hurt, confused, and housebound in her cramped apartment while she recovers. And worse, something tells her it wasn’t an accident.

Desperate to keep busy and distract herself from the flashbacks to her childhood that are beginning to resurface, she hires Edward – a friend of a friend – to repaint her shabby living room and, hopefully, keep the past at bay.

But when Edward arrives – quiet, considerate and handsome – Lou instantly feels like they’ve met before, that she can trust him. Tired of carrying the guilt alone after all these years, Lou tells Edward her secret. And to her surprise, he doesn’t pull away. He doesn’t gasp, or grimace or preach about what she did. And Lou is so relieved to finally be free of this burden at last.

Until she learns that Edward has a secret of his own. One he’s been waiting a very, very long time to tell...

My Review:

4 Stars before the ending

3 Stars after the ending

Alright...three star ratings are not something that I give out lightly. I have to have really not enjoyed something to give it that rating or lower. That was not the case with this book though. 

Lou has a terrible accident. An accident that she can't really remember, but does recall small new details daily. This accident has left her confined to her house when she's usually has a very active life style. At the suggestion of her sister she hires someone to come and give her home a lift. That's when she meets Ed. 

Ed and Lou both harbor their own potentially damaging secrets. Each carries a burden of something they feel is inexcusably their fault. Each one has lived their life repenting since and will continue to do so unless they are able to forgive themselves. Will the budding romance between them be enough to dispel the weight of these secrets? You will have to read and see.

I absolutely loved the story this book contained. I would recommend it if asked, but I am so confused and a little angry about the ending that it did change what I would rate it. I was left with a million questions not to mention the fact that I still have no idea what happened. It really needed at least one more chapter explaining how the ending came to fruition. Other than that I really enjoyed this book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment