Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Review of Daughter by Kate McLaughlin

 I received a copy of this title via NetGalley. All opinions are my own. 

Scarlet’s life is pretty average. Overly protective mom. Great friends. Cute boy she’s interested in. And a father she’s never known – until she does.

When the FBI show up at Scarlet’s door, she is shocked to learn her father is infamous serial killer Jeffrey Robert Lake. And now, he’s dying and will only give the names and locations of his remaining victims to the one person, the daughter he hasn’t seen since she was a baby.

Scarlet’s mother has tried to protect her from Lake’s horrifying legacy, but there’s no way they can escape the media firestorm that erupts when they come out of hiding. Or the people who blame Scarlet for her father’s choices. When trying to do the right thing puts her life in danger, Scarlet is faced with a choice – go back into hiding or make the world see her as more than a monster’s daughter.

My Review:

5 Stars

This is one of those books that has been on my Kindle for awhile. After just finishing it I asked my why the hell did I wait so long. I absolutely loved everything about this book. The storyline, the characters and it was concluded perfectly. 

It seems that everyone is obsessed with serial killers. There are multiple documentaries, docuseries and movies on the subject. While Scarlett imbibed in the phenomenon, she never imagined that she would suddenly become apart of it. 

Her mother's helicopter parenting and police like vigilance are now starting to finally make sense. Due to living that type of lifestyle, Scarlett is not prepared for the onslaught of attention being the daughter of a serial killer brings. She's not prepared to be blamed for horrific acts that were never her fault. 

A gripping coming of age, love and doing the right thing story. I would highly recommend you take the time to read this book. I'm very sorry it took me this long.

No comments:

Post a Comment